[Frameworks] UbuWeb...HACKED!

Jason Halprin jihalprin at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 14:38:56 CDT 2010

Beth,

I had read your earlier post as an indictment of Canyon's business model, so
your clarification is quite welcome.

Likewise I may have been unclear about my concerns with ubuweb. They are, as you
pointed out, not in this for the money. I also do not expect them to pay fees to
the artists whose work appears on their site (though I would argue that an
inverse-fame equation would be fair). However, there is a difference between not
paying a person while not asking their permission to share artwork, and trying
to shame them when they do not want to share. The former is, at it's core,
advocating for art and culture, while the later is fundamentally anti-artist and
disrespectful.

My larger point was that people like Cory Doctorow have the decision making
power in releasing their work for free. He has been able to maintain control
over the method of distribution for his work...even if his decision is
ultimately to give up a fair amount of control. We can argue property rights and
fetishism at some later date off-list, as I think we're in more agreement than
disagreement over the merits of ubuweb.

As a good friend once said to me "You have to decide what kind of life you want
your work to have." And I think those decisions need to be respected by curators
and distributors, whether or not they stand to make monetary gains.

-Jason Halprin