[Frameworks] "On Venom & Eternity, " by Isou 12/5 & 6, Brooklyn, NY

LBurchill elle.burchill at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 21:30:49 CST 2010

We were behind on getting this program out to the list. My apologies.

Microscope Gallery presents:

SUNDAY 12/5 & MONDAY12/6, 7PM

*ON VENOM AND ETERNITY (TRAITE DE BAVE ET D'ETERNITE**)*

BY ISIDORE ISOU

*1951, b&w, 123 minutes, dvd (original format 35mm)*

with: Jean-Louis Barrault, Blaise Cendrars, Jean Cocteau, André Maurois and
others. Producer: Marc’O. Assistant Director: Maurice Lemaitre.

in French with English subtitles.

"The spectator must leave the cinema blind, his ears crushed, both torn
asunder by this disjunction of word and image." I. I.

“On Venom and Eternity” is Jean-Isidore Isou’s – the founder of the
Letterist movement -  assault on cinema: through unrelated sound & imagery,
the film destroyed by scratches and bleach, and presented upside down &
backwards. Made when Isou was 25 the film premiered at Cannes and caused a
riot.  It is a landmark film and a precursor to the Letterist and
Situationist cinema that would later come. Stan Brakhage declared the work a
“portal through which every film artist is going to have to pass.”

 *Admission $6 - tickets available at door*

More info on www.microscopegallery.com

*Special thanks to Pip Chodorov (Re:voir editions).*

MICROSCOPE Gallery
4 Charles Place (intersection of Myrtle & Willoughby Aves)
Brooklyn, NY 11221
info at microscopegallery.com
347.925.1433

J/M/Z - Myrtle/Broadway

L - Morgan Ave

G - Union/Broadway walk 1 block to J/M Lorimer

B-54 Myrtle Ave