[Frameworks] The Digital Video Exhibition Problem: And An Offer To Address It

mallary abel mallaryabel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 15:47:18 CST 2010

I come from sort of a fresh perspective of cinema. My experience here
might not be as plentiful as some of these fine frameworkers here, but
I see myself right in the middle of this "medium-clashing" that has
overtaken this entire art form, especially in it's exhibition. I am
still learning this entire history, and technical demands (and
options), but from what I've gathered we've got a few different
tangents of David's argument worth mentioning. He focuses mainly on
digital, but I want to highlight both.
I want to mention these...

We've got Film purists, then Video-makers that somehow seems to divide
cinema.... (which is basically a war) But we put them in a group
together, and we grant each visual-artist their own power to create
something with the means they have, for to exhibit. All artists are
armed with different tools. These means are completely subjective, and
by means, I'm talking about production. How many human beings are
artists? Probably slightly > or < half or of everyone in society? When
thinking about numbers like these, I feel that there will never be one
standard, especially in an art society where everyone is indifferent.
This is why "attempts to resolve these technical issues on a
case-by-case basis" are exactly that, a "[waste] of time and mental
energy." I believe movements can happen, definitely, but this is
different. This is more than just behavior or politics, it's also a
matter of ethics and economy.

We have to take an objective approach. This doesn't mean there is no
hope for some kind of consensus, or cooperation amongst visual-artists
and exhibitors to make things easier. Sure, we need cooperation. But
don't we already acknowledge that this issue is here? I mean, isn't
the awareness of the problem inevitably powerful in itself to create a
resolution? Am I too optimistic here? People on their own should want
to work harder to make these improvements. I hope.
If we were to bring in some kind of "consultant," as David says, that
would be a whole other "cluster#$%*" itself. Especially for the
consultant. If one hub were to be the middle man for a ton of people,
how would the flow not get slowed down? Artists should go directly to
the exhibitors and vice versa. We need to keep things direct. We have
to expect and anticipate the differences and changes the future will
throw at us with type of impressionable medium. Cinema is all about
movement..... isn't it?

And we will maintain our ideas of quality, and cheap work. It's
obvious what is quality and what isn't - they're self evident. If
people want to create and exhibit quality work, they must learn how
to. David is right, some "makers don’t know to avoid the many
sub-standard blank discs on the market, or don’t know how to use their
compression, authoring and burning software without running into the
little hidden traps," plus tons of other problems, but they're still
making their art. Quality or not. When artists have challenges, which
they will, they must overcome them somehow. They can do trial and
error. And they have outlets (like frameworks, or classes, etc) to
inquire about how to fix things on a personal basis.

This is definitely a frustrating situation, though. I've seen my fair
share of problematic and interrupted exhibitions. I've seen the
artists and exhibitors saddened or humiliated by this. But it's one of
those things where I think planning and proper run-throughs/tech
checks, organization and concentration are extremely vital. With focus
and care, things can run smooth. Exhibitionism is a prideful thing,
people need to take pride in that. If that means slow down and be
careful, which I think it does, then maybe that could be one solution.

Mallary