[Frameworks] Digital Video Exhibition: what's the acid test?

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Mon Dec 6 08:50:59 CST 2010

David,

The pieces I always used to test compression strategies were "YOURS"
by Jeff Scher and "BOUQUET" by Rose Lowder. These films not only
change the total image from frame to frame (like Breer's
"RECREATION") but they also incoporate patterns that resist certain
kinds of compression - in the case of YOURS this is vertical,
horizontal and diagonal stripes, and in the case of BOUQET, very
detailed natural images like flowers and water patterns that flicker
in a three-frame pattern.
I never get acceptable DVD transfers, but I could make SD ProRes
files from the Digibetas.

I do have an HDCam-SR master of Anticipation of the Night that I had
tested for Blu-Ray by Sony DADC and Technicolor in 2005 and 2006, but
they never showed me the results!

-Pip