[Frameworks] Can my super 8 cameras read different ASA's?

Kevin Timmins on-one-2 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 12:11:54 CST 2010

I have used both my super 8 cameras over the past few years without worrying to much about film speed or f-stops and my film has always come out pretty good. However lately I've been paying more attention to how my little super 8 cams operate and I have some questions which hopefully someone can shed some light on.
Is my Nizo 481 marco and my Canon 514XL-S capable of reading the full range of asa's? I've read that some camera's only recognize the standard speeds of 40 and 160 asa and are thus under or over exposed when using ektachrome 64t. Most the time I film with automatic exposure enabled, with ektachrome 64t cartridges, and with the daylight setting on (tungsten filter disabled). Have I been filming correctly or do I need to change my operation for better results?
For example should I be filming on tungsten or the daylight setting when indoors and outdoors? Also, say if I were to change my exposure manually how much would I have to shift the f-stop? For example if my light meter is telling me the light entering the camera is 5.6.... what do I change it to for correct exposure?
ThanksKevin