[Frameworks] Borrow Video Projector, San Francisco

k. a.r. a_r_k_ at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 22:49:34 CST 2010

Hi there, I am always intrigued by the thought of a cheap video projector.
I looked for a $75 proj at bestbuy, and did not find one.

I did see one for $179, with a native resolution of 854x480.
This is a pretty low native resolution for a modern video projector.
(Native resolution means the top number of pixels that that projector is going to project.)

some examples of resolutions:

320x240   ipod classic screen
640x480  vga 4:3
720x480 ntsc 4:3
800x600 svga 4:3
1024x768 sxga 5:4
1280x720 hd720 16:9
1920x1080 hd1920 16:9

native resolution and lumens are the main things to think about in regards to what you want a projector to do.
I can take my ipod and project it through a hd projector, but it's not going to look good at all.

What you cannot do is take a high resolution source and project it through a lower resolution projector.  The projector cannot handle the additional data, and you end with a digital mess on the screen, that is not showing your source.  you'll have to change the output resolution of your source and that can problematic for many reasons.

there was a sharper image brand video projector that I bought once for $50.00!  I was stoked because the pics on the box showed a decent projection.
Not at all, it was not bright, didnt focus well, and there was this internal screen that projected a dot matix on top of the image.

So anyway, my point is you get what you pay for.

Kristie Reinders, B.F.A.

Director of Cinematography, Electric Visions

Curator and Head Projectionist, Electric Mural Project

The Mission, San Francisco, CA

'A first class technician should work best under pressure.'

- - - Issac Asimov