[Frameworks] Santa's Complaint

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Tue Dec 28 13:38:13 CST 2010

On Dec 26, 2010, at 6:51 PM, Bernard Roddy wrote:
>  But it has long struck me that the rules of inclusion and exclusion within exhibition opportunities are really quite arbitrary, including, I would argue, the scholarly propensity to classify works as modernist.  And yet these rules are not easily recognized as arbitrary, and what's more, there is often a certain hostility toward drawing our attention to means by which they are enforced.  [snip] I am fully aware of the pressures artists are under to compromise their vision in order to satisfy the expectations of a particular kind of decision-maker.  I am also fully aware that the avant-garde has sustained itself, at least in part, on its unruliness toward the professionalization of art and the codification of reigning notions of excellence.  In this respect Tony and I are, I believe, in passionate agreement.  Furthermore, it is my understanding that a list made up of practitioners and programmers, critics and students, teachers and archivists, all representing several generations of interested parties remains susceptible to a certain exercize of authority on the part of some members who take it to be their responsibility to monitor the whole array of discussions and enforce a particular notion of propriety that they view as objective and disinterested.  The most effective means of frustrating these practices in list discussions, and a means that can be adopted without insulting any particular members or impugning anyone's reputation, is to use humor and artifice.  It is my hope that puncturing the pretensions of self-appointed authorities does not a involve a degree of violence greater than the kind I am likely to receive as a result.

Oh those self-appointed authorities again!

It's good to see Assistant Professor of Media in the School of Art and Art History at the University of Oklahoma, Bernard Roddy, taking on those folks...with considerable authority, too!

I dunno, maybe Bernie is a trust fund kid and just discards those U of OK paychecks, or do I detect someone biting Alma Mater's tit while suckling?

Chuck Kleinhans