[Frameworks] camera roll films (unedited 100ft films)

Amanda Christie amanda at amandadawnchristie.ca
Fri Dec 31 12:28:45 CST 2010

I was going to say Guy Sherwin too!  I love his single roll films.  I
know they're distributed by Lux, and I think that RW is right in that
they come as a collection, but I think you can choose to take either 3
or 6 or 9 or 12 of them... so that the mixture of the films changes
the context.  Each film is complete in and of itself, but then the
pairings make another whole... wholes within wholes.

I also have made a couple of single roll films of my own, but not
nearly as sublime as his.
Playing Jacob (16mm, 2005, colour, sound)
16mm Postcard (16mm, 2005, BW sound)
These two are distributed by the CFMDC (they're the only 2 films that
I didn't deposit with Lightcone... but eventually once I make new
prints)

But seriously, I really think that Guy Sherwin's are some of the
greatest and most inspiring examples.  His work is super powerful and
inspiring!  The sort of films with images that just etch into your
mind... the sort of images that you recall from time to time with no
explanation and you know will stay nested in your subconscious
forever.  I know that this sounds gushy and sentimental, but there are
a few images from some of his films that have really carved out
permanent homes for themselves in my mind... it reminds me of that
Maya Deren quote:  "I am not greedy. I do not seek to possess the
major portion of your days. I am content if, on those rare occasions
whose truth can be stated only by poetry, you will, perhaps, recall an
image, even only the aura of my films."  Sherwin's films are like
that... the image and the aura of his films are the type that you
recall from time to time... in dreams and quiet waking moments.

I am thankful for having seen some of Guy Sherwin's films.

adc