[Frameworks] Eiki 16mm Projector

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 14:37:10 CDT 2010

The Elf projector pictured on the nowhere page appears to be the same
thing as an Eiki NT-O, such as this one on eBay:
http://tinyurl.com/2w8h269

However, looking at the closer image of the looper in the video, it
appears to have slots for the mounting bolts, rather than precise
holes, and I would imagine it would work perfectly well on any 16mm
projector that has a flat top, and from which the handle can be
removed by taking of the back cover -- which would include pretty much
any Eiki, plus the Elmo 16CL/Kodak CT100 (same thing)  http://tinyurl.com/38m2at2

I have no experience using loopers over a long period of time, but the
NT-0 is an auto-load model, and the idea of running a loop through an
auto-load scares me. I would want to be able to get the loop out of
the projector easily, and a slot-load or manual load would be best for
that. Perhaps other members of the list have thoughts on the slot-load
vs. auto-load question. Unlike some auto-load models, I think you can
get the film out of an NT-0 mid-stream, it's just not that easy.

Here's a shiny-looking Eiki SL-1 slot load on ebay: http://tinyurl.com/2wnoxo3
.

Eiki projectors were also re-branded and sold as Bell and Howell with
3xxx series model numbers: e.g. http://tinyurl.com/35tyh5g

That's over-priced. A used Eiki on eBay should go for under $125.

The downside of slot-loads is the linkage that puts everything in gear
can get cranky with age and lack of use, and especially if you engage
it quickly and start the film running it can be seated wrong and chew
up the print. But if you engage it carefully, then check to see that
everything is good before you actually start the motor, everything
should be fine.

There's also the question of lenses, the image size you want, and the
throw you have to work with. The std. lens on 16mm projectors is 50mm,
which makes for a small image in a small space. Wider lenses, or wide-
angle adapters for Elmo or Eiki are hard to find and expensive,
(generally more so for Elmo).

good luck

djt