[Frameworks] Looking for a book on film post

Steve Polta stevepolta at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 02:22:02 CDT 2010

In the area of technical filmmaking you can find plenty of books which talk about labs, sound, printing, editing, etc. I've looked at lots of them but, in my opinion, INDEPENDENT FILMMAKING by Lenny Lipton is a masterpiece, in that it really is written from the point of view of what a film can be, as opposed to speaking from some industry point of view as to what filmmaking ought to be. I used this book when I was learning about filmmaking and besides being very solid technically, his references to Baillie, Hindle, Kuchar et al. (all of whom I'd never heard of) were just intriguing bonuses (intro by Stan Brakhage as well). Lipton has a real funny, laid back Northern California '60s style and subtle diy/anti-establishment politics which subtly waft through the book which make reading it really fun. This book was hugely important to me at one time, not just as a tech manual but really as more of an attitudinal thing. And it really really is a top notch
 technical filmmaking book. Fairly easy to find used I suspect.

Steve Polta