[Frameworks] persistence (was: The code of)

walleyj at denison.edu walleyj at denison.edu
Tue Jul 6 13:44:30 CDT 2010

Yes, my understanding is that the question of how the illusion of
movement occurs in cinema got taken up into the much broader debate(s)
between psychoanalytic film theory and cognitive film theory. The
former envisions a more passive spectator (i.e. one who is "sutured"
by the processes of the "apparatus," which replicates the "dominant
ideology" that "positions the subject" - makes subjects out of passive
viewers who cannot avoid this happening to them, in other words). The
latter - cognitive film theory - asserts a more active spectator,
emphasizing all the ways we process and "fill in" the input from the
screen. Critics of the persistence of vision explanation don't like
the way it reduces the illusion of movement in film to brute
physiology, and want to emphasize, instead, the "creative" (in a very
broad sense of that term) input from the viewer's active cognitive
processes.

Per Nicky's email, I've always wondered if our ability to track
movement (apparent movement) across still frames has something to do
with vision being "discrete" rather than "continuous" (if that's what
you meant by "sampled in packets" Nicky). If vision is indeed a
sampling process rather than continuous, that might help explain why
we can see motion in still images - we're primed to do so. But that's
only IF vision is discrete, and the jury is still out on that. And
btw, I'm no scientist, so please file this under sheer speculation.

Jonathan Walley
Dept. of Cinema
Denison University