[Frameworks] Experimental Documentary

nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net
Mon Jul 19 16:14:38 CDT 2010

It's funny, because painters do this all the time, in the sense of
trying things out -"experimenting"- but in a moment to moment kind of
way, trying to push their practice on, yet this is an activity that
they wouldn't necessarily consider experimental in the rather self-
conscious sense in which it's used by the experimental film community.

So to some extent (stating the obvious here) the whole issue of
experimental film arises because of its peculiar relationship to
cinema: in other words it's really an institutional question, at least
as much as it's an aesthetic one (Peter Wollen used to like to
emphasise that Hitchock was an experimental filmmaker). Their having a
medium in common clearly has given rise to the "surface" issues that
preoccupies filmmakers, and which Jonathan mentions in his email.

Nicky Hamlyn.