[Frameworks] Experimental / Genre

gregg biermann mubbazoo at optonline.net
Wed Jul 21 00:51:32 CDT 2010

Pip,
How you write, where that writing goes, how people read it, what happens
to it after it is read, and even what you write, will be radically
different depending on whether you write with a pencil, a computer or an
ice cream scoop.  The fact that you are reading this in Paris and I am
writing it in New Jersey attests to that. So it is quite difficult to
separate the technology from the product that is created from the use of
that technology in any kind of thorough analysis. And if, as Fred
suggests, it is important to consider about how the energies of history
and the energies of art are intertwined, then we are forced to confront
the technology that we are using. There is no way to ignore the
transition that cinema is now going through  -- away from mechanized
movement. This is one of the constraints of our time and this is
especially prescient when one considers the emphasis on novelty in
technique in the experimental tradition. Again Pip -- this doesn't mean
that you must necessarily abandon your Bolex or your bicycle in the
production of experimental cinema. It just means the artist needs to be
cognizant of what that decision entails -- aesthetically speaking. The
practical implications are more obvious.