[Frameworks] Lesser-knowns, using video for its unique qualities

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Thu Jun 17 11:43:50 CDT 2010

In the discussion of that Film Comment list of new makers, I had
posted that there are some excellent videomakers not on the lists, and
that I would mention them in an upcoming piece on the Onion City
festival in Chicago.

The piece is now published, and can be found online at
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/onion-city-experimental-film-and-video-festival/Content?oid=1984715

As you'll see, I only had space for a sentence or two on each work.

Five I mention who are in particular using video for its unique
qualities and possibilities, rather than as a substitute for film, are
Gregg Biermann (New Jersey), Kyle Canterbury (Chicago), Yoel Meranda
(Istanbul), Eytan Apeker (Istanbul), and Jake Barningham (Chicago).
The last four mostly know each others' work, and several are good
friends of each other.

The last three have posted many of their works at http://vimeo.com/

Fred Camper
Chicago