[Frameworks] single perf through double perf

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:49:21 CDT 2010

On Jun 28, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Pablo Marin wrote:

> hello all,
>
> a simple question that i'm sure has been made here before: is
> possible to run single perf 16mm in an old bolex with double perf
> bolts (or whatever their name is)?

I assume you mean sprockets? Anyway the answer is NO.

> Can those bolts be replaced?

Yes, if you can find the parts. But a camera with double-perf
sprockets probably has a double perf claw. Single perf film won't work
with that either, and replacing or modding the claw is not so easy.
I've done it on a Filmo, but they're easy to take apart. A Bolex, not
so much. Also, any Bolex old enough to have a double-perf claw, would
I think, be so old as to predate the Bolex 'registration claw'
movement, and I'd guess it would be more efficient to just look for a
newer body than try to fix up that old one.

The tell-tale sign is the cameras with the old movement have an all
silver speed setting knob, and the ones with the newer mechanisms have
a black-ish speed knob.