[Frameworks] opera

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:01:15 CST 2010

On Nov 19, 2010, at 5:03 AM, margaret jamieson wrote:

> I'm interested in hearing about pieces which are not just opera in subject but in form or feel.

Could you say a bit about what you take that form and feel to be? Give examples of works that are 'operatic' without being opera?

In narrative cinema, a lot of Coppola's films are operatic -- not just Godfather, but the failed One From the Heart, Rumble Fish, Dracula... He came from a family of opera conductors.

Going to experimental films pushes the trope further out. Flaming Creatures, The End and Blonde Cobra might fit. Or not. Depending on how you take the concept....