[Frameworks] Exploration of water as a physical active component within Expanded Cinema

jennifer cadger jencat29 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 5 04:47:26 CDT 2010

Hi
Dinorah,

Wow your work is fantastic and inspirational, and
the kind of work I am interested in looking at. I like the fact that people could
choose to be projected on or not. The last installation I did I didn’t give
anyone any choice all the projectors were in the centre of the room and I had
used plastic mirrors to reflect the projections around the room so that wherever
they went they were projected onto. I read Bradley Eros; “there will be projections in all
directions...” and looking back I realise that I was inspired by the title but
unaware of it when I was creating the installation! Thank you, Jen

Hi Gary,

I had seen something like
Judith Goddard’s reservoir when looking through YouTube, but it had been under
science experiments! Thanks I will look at her work in more depth.

Re: “bill
viola, he weeps for you”

I weep because Bill Viola
can’t help me!

Love his work but the
water is on film and on screen not physically in the space. However I am still
keeping my options open since of the use of water in expanded cinema is so
diverse I am not sure at this point how to link them to create a good dissertation.
It may be that it all comes together like a jigsaw puzzle or I focus on the
diversity, I’ll just have to wait and see where my research takes me! Thanks
Jen

Hi David,

Thanks,
Alexander Hahn, “On The Nature of Things” is exactly what I was looking for.
Question: How did he get away with the rain machine and the screens in a
gallery space!! I had to jump through hoops with Health and Safety at Uni when
I did my installation, in the end everyone had to be chaperoned as it was
classed as unsuitable for public viewing!

 Hi Andy,

Yes I
was aware of Robert Whitman’s “Shower (1965) but I had forgot about it so
thanks for reminding me.

Ken Jacobs coined the term
“paracinema” in relation to films without film but I don’t remember any mention
of mist.

I was aware of Stan
Vanderbeek, “Movie-Drome” but after some googling found that yes he did use
steam screens in some of his work. Thanks

Hi Roger

I had never heard of the artists
Luis Recoder and Sandra Gibson's. Initial googling has thrown
up use of water spay bottles and I have found mention of the humidifiers so I
will research further. Thanks

Hi wenhua
shi,

Thanks,
I love Anthony McCall’s work, but I believe it is classified more as paracinema
and I am looking more for water rather than mist or steam. However anything
that is not directly related to my dissertation topic is still extremely
relevant to my studio practice and I am being inspired by every artist
mentioned.