[Frameworks] Ronald Nameth

Gene Youngblood atopia at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 17:20:52 CDT 2010

In 2007 Ronald sent me a preview of a four-DVD package that included (1) documentary footage of the original multiscreen performance of "Andy Warhol's Exploding Plastic Inevitable" which Gerard Malanga produced at the DOM, (2) the film that Ronald compiled from that event, distributed for decades by the co-op), and (3) historical contextualizations of EPI and other multimedia events by Andy, done mainly with scrolling text over the movies and stills.

Ronald began this project in 2004. He was well into it when his editing system crashed and he had to start over. To my knowledge it isn't finished. The preview he sent me is subtitled a work in progress. He wanted to restore the film and get an HD transfer, but if he had done this I think we'd know about it.

The historical contextualization in the package I have needs improvement. Gerard could contribute a lot, of course, and it's a very worthy project, but he told me Ronald had not invited his participation.

But the visuals in the package are still powerful. EPI was an exemplar of sorts, and no one was more beautiful than Gerard and Nico.