[Frameworks] searching for a film

gyoungblood atopia at comcast.net
Fri Apr 22 11:31:44 CDT 2011

Frameworkers,
I need help identifying a commercial film made in the sixties. In a scene near the beginning, two Frenchmen, recent arrivals in Hollywood, are reading the underground newspaper, the Los Angeles Free Press. They are discussing an article in it about apocalyptic earthquakes. One of them says, “Perhaps we picked the wrong time to come to LA.”  The camera then moves in for a closeup of the front page, showing cartoonist Ron Cobb’s rendition of California slipping into the pacific.

This scene is not in Agnes Varda's "Lions Love," it's not in Jacques Demy's "Model Shop," and it's not in "I Love You, Alice B. Toklas," which does have a scene of Peter Sellars selling the Free Press on the street.

I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me solve this mystery.

Gene Youngblood
28 Sunrise Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507 USA
+1.505.424.8708