[Frameworks] Hand Processing

sef208 sef208 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 17:59:14 CDT 2011

you need a respirator where you can take out the cartridges it comes with
and put in your own. I got mine in a paint superstore in san francisco. You
can read the cartridge labels to see exactly what the cartridge protects
against. Then look at the ingredients on your chemical bottles/powders and
figure out which cartridge will block the chemicals you are using. As an
asthmatic I had major problems with hand processing and found if you are
doing e-6, the color developer and the bleach are rough, especially the
fumes from the heated bleach, try to control those fumes as much as you can
and make sure your place is well ventilated, like really well ventilated. If
you are cross processing in c41, the blix is nasty stuff, a lot nastier than
just the e-6 bleach alone. I also found that while I was processing the
film, I was fine, but later on in the middle of the night would wake up with
a lot of severe coughing. Just monitor how you are doing each day and you
should be fine. Also, remember to be careful with the stabilizer as it has
formaldehyde in it. Use gloves and don't get that crap on your hands.

The moldex mask I have is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BVWYFK/ref=asc_df_B002BVWYFK1640449?smid=AQNACJEM8PUJ1&tag=nextagusmp0404107-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002BVWYFK

with these some of these cartridges:

http://www.moldex.com/respiratory-protection/reusable-respirators/8000/cartridges/

jobo has a lot of great information on the whole process:

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/analog_frei/bedanleitung_pdf/E-6/E-6_Handbuch_GB.pdf

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/us_analog/instructions/instructions_process_e-6.htm