[Frameworks] Literature on Found Footage Filmmaking?

Eli Horwatt ehorwatt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 14:42:50 CDT 2011

The Wees book should be available through Anthology Film Archives. The
Hausheer is harder to find.

Bill Wees posted a list of readings a while back that may be useful. I
think using articles would be useful too.

Some relevant texts compiled by Bill Wees:

Paul Arthur, “The Status of Found Footage,” Spectator 20.1 (1999-2000): 57-69.
Yann Beauvais, “Inside Out-Takes,” Desmontaje: Film, Vídeo/Apropiación,
Reciclaje (Valencia: Institut Valencià d’Art Modern, 1993): 170-182.
_____. Found Footage (Paris: Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume, 1995 [in
French]).
Joel Katz, “From Archive to Archiveology,” Cinematographe 4 (1991): 96-104.
Jay Leyda, Films Beget Films: A Study of the Compilation Film (New York:
Hill and Wang, 1964).
Scott MacKenzie, “Flowers in the Dustbin: Termite Culture and Detritus
Cinema,”Cinéaction 47 (1998): 24-29.
James Peterson, Dreams of Chaos, Visions of Order: Understanding the
American Avant-Garde Cinema (Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1994),
126-177.
Catherine Russell, Experimental Ethnography: The Work of Film in the Age of
Video (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1999),
238-272.
Sharon Sandusky, “The Archeology of Redemption: Toward Archival Film,”
Millennium Film Journal 26 (1992): 2-24.
Patrik Sjöberg, The World In Pieces: A Study of Compilation Film
(Stockholm: Aura förlag, 2001)
William C. Wees, “The Ambiguous Aura of Hollywood Stars in Avant-Garde
Found Footage Films,” Cinema Journal 41.2 (2002), 3-18.
______. “Old Images, New Meanings: Recontextualizing Archival Footage of
Nazism and the Holocaust,” Spectator 20.1 (2000): 70-76.
_____. Recycled Images: The Art and Politics of Found Footage Films (New
York: Anthology Film Archives, 1993).

Eli

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Kim Knowles <kim_knowles1 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Frameworkers,
> I wonder if anyone can help: I'm looking for books/articles on or relating
> to found footage filmmaking for a course I'm running next semester. I'm
> finding it frustratingly difficult to get my hands on what seem to be two
> key texts:
> - William Wees, Recycled Images: The Art and Politics of Found Footage
> Films
> - Cecilia Hausheer and Christoph Settele (eds), Found Footage Film
> The latter is referenced all over the place but I've come across ZERO ways
> of getting hold of it!
> If anyone has any leads I'd be very very grateful. And any suggestions of
> useful reading would be an enormous help.
> I hope summer is treating everyone well.
> Thanks!
> Kim

Eli Horwatt
York University, Toronto
Ph.D. Candidate - Cinema & Media Studies