[Frameworks] Quo Vadis Celluloid?

Pip Chodorov frameworks at re-voir.com
Fri Aug 19 18:37:26 CDT 2011

Hi Fred,

my argument is not related to how much film and video may or may not
resemble each other.
My argument is that they are of a different nature completely.
It is not like comparing two wines.  It is like comparing an aardvark
and an artichoke.
I don't think results matter - I think the thing itself matters.
It just so happens that both can be used to make images, but the
resemblance stops there.

Regarding profit - preserving American Film Heritage for 600-2000
years, as the article states, could be the most valuable asset for
the country's future.
As an anecdote about the potential profits of investing in film stock
and developing, this is from the Wikipedia entry on Lucille Ball. In
1951, before reruns and syndication, TV was aired live from New York
- Ball prefered to live in Hollywood. The time difference meant the
show could not be live and in prime-time.
>Sponsor Philip Morris did not want to show day-old kinescopes to the
>major markets on the East Coast, yet neither did they want to pay
>for the extra cost filming, processing and editing would require,
>pressuring Ball and Arnaz to relocate to New York City. Ball and
>Arnaz offered to take a pay cut to finance filming, on the condition
>that their company, Desilu, would retain the rights to that film
>once it was aired. CBS relinquished the show rights back to Desilu
>after initial broadcast, not realizing they were giving away a
>valuable and durable asset. Desilu made many millions of dollars on
>I Love Lucy rebroadcasts through syndication and became a textbook
>example of how a show can be profitable in second-run syndication.

-Pip