[Frameworks] Quo Vadis Celluloid?

Anna Biller pbutterfly at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 20 02:16:03 CDT 2011

Fred,

I did not mean to suggest that you were bigoted, and I apologize if it sounded that way. What I object to is your saying that one "shouldn't" have attachments that one may in fact have, and that it's necessary to justify one's interest in one's choice of medium over another medium, which I don't really understand the point of. Anyway I was trying to support the food analogy which I thought was an accurate one.

I don't think I'm guilty of numerous expressions of dislike for video. I only said that it doesn't have the dynamic range of film and that it's often used differently and sometimes makes me ill, which are facts and not expressions of dislike. I do think that people look better on film, and I can't explain that technically. But film  seems to me to be more flattering than video and I do love the way faces look on film. All of this is of course personal. I never claimed to speak for any larger issue. But it seemed to me that you were suggesting that for people to insist on using film is somehow not justified by any qualities of the medium itself, which I thought odd at the very least for someone of your background.

If you are sincerely asking why people think video may still be inferior to film when in fact video images can be so high-quality and breathtaking, then my answer would be that it's true that high-quality video is beautiful, but not in the same way as film. So we're back to goat's milk and buttermilk.