[Frameworks] Quo Vadis Celluloid?

tina wasserman tina.wasserman at tufts.edu
Wed Aug 24 15:44:59 CDT 2011

This is my first time posting to Frameworks, but I've been reading it with interest.  One thing that has always struck me as incongruous, or at the very least confusing is the use of the term 'analog' to describe emulsion-based photography and cinema.  I know the term has somewhat stuck in the world of photography.  I think that is unfortunate.

 But wouldn't it be better to distinguish photo-chemical/emulsion based film from the word  'analog?'  How exactly have they become the same thing? They have such different material properties and since this discussion is about the waning of emulsion-based celluloid film, wouldn't it be more historically accurate to distinguish it from both analog and digital technology.   My (limited) understanding of analog technology is that it is constituted by continuous signals.  I think we need to be very careful about terminology here, otherwise we risk conflating emulsion based work with analog video.

Tina Wasserman (I teach film studies at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston)