[Frameworks] Film and video

Anna Biller pbutterfly at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 27 02:46:53 CDT 2011

That's funny David, but I was not trying to slay any vampires. I was just trying to be part of a discussion. What's funny too is that I think we all essentially agree. I NEVER would have put my head in the lion's mouth to answer a question such as "what's better, film or video?" For one thing, I don't think, even at the very depths of my being, that one is better than the other. I was trying to answer a question that had to do with peoples' personal practice and preferences. Somehow all of my answers got interpreted as "film is better than video," so the lion bit anyway. So if that's what you disagree with you are not disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with Fred's fantasy life in which I say much stupider things than I actually say. But often what happens is that once an allegation is made it sticks, whether it's true or not. The only statement I made that was not an expression of personal tastes was the one about materials having intrinsic value.

As for your "chill" comment, I think it stuck out because there was such an awareness on your part of the gender of the person writing. It makes people feel self-conscious. Suddenly the person writing feels as if they belong to a special category which is a "lady," and suddenly it's not like here we are all together, discussing cultural issues, it's like, "here are the people, and here are the ladies." I don't think it has anything to do with fear of speaking out because of being a "lady." It's more a discomfort for being singled out, as if your views are contingent only upon your gender. So if you're seriously asking what terminology to apply, I would say, don't call attention to peoples' gender any more than you would to their race, unless it's absolutely necessary. That's always a good rule of thumb.