[Frameworks] Moving to San Francisco

Brook Hinton bhinton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:26:53 CDT 2011

As far as the SF area - very small scenes in some bay area burbs but far far
less of "the characteristic "mix" of art bohemia scenes " than what still
exists in SF and Oakland. Once you go through the Caldecott Tunnel things
get very conservative (by Northern California standards). There have always
been little pockets that have a bit of an artist colony vibe (Point
Richmond, Alameda to some extent). As for the south bay and Marin, they are
as or more expensive than SF, certainly more than Oakland.

I suspect the Cultural Bohemia of the Burbs is primarily found on the
internet.

Brook

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Chuck Kleinhans
<chuckkle at northwestern.edu>wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2011, at 11:17 PM, Brook Hinton wrote:
>
> > Yes. Oakland and SF combined are less than half the size of Chicago and a
> fraction of LA.  San Francisco has well under a million people in a city
> with very limited space of the type that normally fosters underground art
> scenes. So on that level its not really a fair comparison.
> >
> > And given that, you have to give major props to the people that do make
> it happen, and especially those organizations that kept it going through the
> first dotcom boom, which permanently changed the cultural landscape of this
> city, completely wiped out a huge number of arts organizations and destroyed
> much of the framework for any real underground to exist at all.
> >
> > Brook
>
> This is just speculation on my part, but it's been widely reported that the
> suburbs are now increasingly the places where lower income folks can afford
> to live and not in the urban core: thus recent immigrants, people arriving
> from other regions of the US, the working class, and minorities of various
> kinds are entering the collar communities.  The characteristic "mix" of art
> bohemia scenes might now be developing in the burbs?  Can anyone report
> evidence of this in the US?  Elsewhere?
>
> Chuck Kleinhans

Brook Hinton
Moving Image and Sound Maker