[Frameworks] Super 8 digitized and flagged at avi.18fps

Kevin Timmins on-one-2 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:40:30 CST 2011

Brilliant! Thanks a bunch!
Kev

Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:43:13 -0600
From: decodawson at shaw.ca
To: frameworks at jonasmekasfilms.com
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Super 8 digitized and flagged at avi.18fps

Re: [Frameworks] Super 8 digitized and flagged at avi.18fps

Hi Kevin,

I would use ProRES HQ.   Although the source material is in DV, you will find, surprisingly enough, that although ProRES can’t “improve” the image that is already there, it actually does make the image look better,  by not requiring it to be compressed over and over and over again on all your steps – thus not having a soft image throughout all your steps.   Alternatively I would convert it to uncompressed if you’d rather, SD files are pretty small, so uncompressed might be your best bet.

Either PRORES or Uncompressed will let you edit natively then export to whatever you’d like.  The benefit with going to one of these is that any effects you add (cropping, colour correction) will be applied using a less lossey codec and improve the way the correction is applied to the image.

Good luck,

Deco