[Frameworks] Digitizing Super 8

Ken Paul Rosenthal kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 23 14:22:47 CST 2011

Kevin,
For future reference, if you simply digitize your super 8 upfront at:  Pro Rez 422 HQ 1080p, 1920x1080, 23.98 fps,you'll be entirely up to spec and not need to do any converting for your timeline. Furthermore, digitizing to acompressed file will allow you to easily edit without freezing up your system. As for projection quality, I've beenon the road for a year a half with Crooked Beauty--which was transferred on the above specs--and have seenit projected on a the best (and worst) systems, the former in a huge theater on a commercial sized screenand it looked stunning. I spent 3 months researching tech options, and the consensus from all the folks I consulted with was that uncompressed is overkill for super 8 because the frame size only contains so much 'information'. So spend the money upfront during the transfer (I highly recommend sitting in with owner/operator Phil Vigeant at Pro 8) and it will be smooth sailing down the line.
Kenwww.crookedbeautythefilm.com  (Academic)www.crookedbeauty.com  (Public)www.kenpaulrosenthal.com