[Frameworks] Still struggling with this super 8 footage.

Kevin Timmins on-one-2 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 30 09:39:31 CST 2011

Hi all,
I posted here about a week ago regarding some SD digitized super 8 footage I got back from Blue Cine Tech in the UK. I got the footage back as .avi flagged at 18fps.
Now I'm using Compressor in Final Cut Studio to make it usable in my Final Cut Pro timeline for editing. I am using the .mov extension and have set the frame rate to 25fps and have been told to use the Apple Pro Res 422 HQ codec. This is what I have done, however I'm running into some image problems. That is some horizontal lines. I have taken some screen grabs using various settings with the apple pro res hq codec which can be seen in the screen grabs. I have also posted the original for comparison.
I hope this experimentation will come in handy for others as well. At the moment I have used square pixel on all apart from the 100% from source one. The main thing I have changed is the dimensions which actually seems to change the image quality (the horrible lines) quite significantly possibly due to stretching? It's good to look at the arm where you can see the horizontal lines. It's just about detectable on flickr but when it's full screened on my mac it's very noticeable. Use the slide show feature to see the change in frame size and how it effects the quality
Any suggestions on how to improve matters is much appreciated.
Kev
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73172807@N06/