[Frameworks] Super 8 Digital Transfers - Amended -- correction

Jeff Kreines jeffkreines at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 31 20:20:54 CST 2011

On Dec 31, 2011, at 1:53 PM, Ken Paul Rosenthal <kenpaulrosenthal at hotmail.com> wrote:

"... I believe Jeff is involved with frame by frame scanning which indeed is capable of producing the greatest resolution, thus it is ideal for archiving. His knowledge and experience in that area is much appreciated. But while I would have preferred frame by frame scanning, I was not interested in sifting through--and scratching--over 150 rolls of shot super 8 to choose which shots I wanted to scan. I preferred the more fluid process of going straight from the processing lab to the transfer center, where I sat in with the operator and decided right then and there if I wanted a particular shot. ..."

Ken, this is not the case.

The Kinetta Archival Scanner is a continuous scanner, with no sprockets, that scans at up to 16 fps at 3.3K resolution and up to 32 fps at 2.3K.  Do not confuse it with projector-based frame-by-frame devices or optical-printer-based devices.  Look at the picture on the last page of the PDF, and note the threading path.  It is designed to scan extremely shrunken or damaged film without causing any further damage.

No grading choices are baked in during scanning, so you have complete freedom to non-destructively color-correct your scans later, unlike telecine transfers.

That said, there is nothing "wrong" with an HD telecine scan if it fits your needs, and I certainly was not criticizing your carefully-researched choices.

The point of the tests I did was to find out if the conventional wisdom -- that  HD transfers capture everything worth capturing from grainy Super-8 originals -- was correct.  Turns out it was not.

A Happy New Year to everyone on Frameworks!

Jeff