[Frameworks] 16mm sound projector

40 Frames info at 40frames.org
Tue Feb 8 19:58:42 CST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:00 PM, mike rice <bacnheday at gmail.com> wrote:

> David, thanks for the extensive write-up on projectors. You mention in
> section E that the kodak pageant maxes out at 29.5 mm. I currently have the
> standard 50mm on mine and am trying to make the screen size much bigger. I
> have been looking on ebay for any and all pageant accessories and have
> stumbled on a couple Kodak Series V Adapter Ring 15/16" USA 23.5mm<http://cgi.ebay.com/Kodak-Series-V-Adapter-Ring-15-16-USA-23-5mm-/130483137635?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item1e6166ac63>(you can click the underlined section for the link to it) The seller seems
> to know nothing about its use. Would this work on my pageant? or is it
> strictly for camera use?
>
> thanks, Mike Rice

Mike,

You want a Kodak Bi-Focal Converter, it converts to wide on one side and
tele on the other. The wide is something like 41mm.

You can on occasion find a 1.5" (38mm), but their not easy to find. Kodak
and Buhl made these. Given the rarity of these lenses, they usually sell for
a lot, which is unfortunate given how poor the lens actual is.

Alain

> [...]
>> adapter to attach an Eiki zoom adapter or a Filmovara to the front of Singer
>> narrow-barrel lenses (there's room in front of the lens).
>>
>> MINUS: Ugly. Heavy.
>>
>> 5. Kodak Pageant 250S
>> (the Kodak CT1000 is a rebranded Elmo CL16)
>>
>> The last of the Pageant line, the 250S uses 24VDC lamps. Most of the older
>> Pageants use the large tube-style conventional filament lamps, which pose
>> potential replacement problems. I'm pretty sure there was a model using
>> 120VAC quartz lamps, but I don't know the number.
>>
>> PLUS: The most gentle with film. Highly reliable. (The kinds of problems
>> they get when do get problems don't usually threaten prints.) Iconic
>> (unmatched 'cool' factor).
>>
>> MINUS: It's really hard to find wide lenses that will fit in one of these,
>> and they're on the slow side at that. Aside from the bifocal adapter made
>> for the standard 50mm, you can't fit wide-angle or zoom attachments, even by
>> jury rigging, as the projector body will get in the way. Pageants are also
>> harder to work on than other makes, so repair may be harder to find or more
>> expensive, should you need it. Significantly heavier than Eiki or Elmo.
>>
>> J.
>> RECOMMENDATIONS
>> The only projectors I've had _extensive_ personal experience with are
>> Eikis and Pageants. Due to the nature of the problems I've had with Eikis,
>> and the number and percentage of them that have acted-up on me, I must
>> recommend against them. On the other hand, I love Pageants... but the
>> difficulty of obtaining lenses probably rules them out in most instances.
>> (By all means, if the standard 50mm f1.6 does by some odd chance suit you
>> and your screening space, Dave sez look for a 250S.)
>>
>> If you need/want more flexibility in lenses, (and you probably do), I'd
>> suggest looking for the right lens first, and then buying a projector into
>> which it will fit (or can be made to fit, if you have the hacker resources).
>> The right lens may be considerably more expensive than the projector itself,
>> and much harder to find a replacement for. In fact, you might consider the
>> projector itself to be disposable, since you'll probably be able to get a
>> working one of any of the above models on eBay for less (maybe much less)
>> than the price of repair.
>>
>> The 'Holy Grail' IMHO is a fast lens in the vicinity of 30mm. Quite hard
>> to find, though. Bell and Howell made a 30-70 f1.5 wide barrel. As I write
>> on 2/7/11, MTE has one available for $130. If I was in the market for a
>> projector, I would grab that first thing. Then I'd look for a Graflex or
>> Telex slot-load to put it in. Assuming a 30mm-ish lens was not available,and
>> I had the budget, and I didn't have the time to do lots of hunting about,
>> and I wanted something a bit easier to lug around, I'd probably get the Elmo
>> CL16 in best condition I could find on eBay and fit it with one of those

40 FRAMES
Alain LeTourneau
Pam Minty

40 FRAMES