[Frameworks] Threat to 16mm printing in the UK.

nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net nicky.hamlyn at talktalk.net
Tue Feb 22 08:04:36 CST 2011

Dear Frameworkers,

I've heard that Soho Film Lab in London, recently purchased by Deluxe, may be planning to cease 16mm printing imminently. I think we need some kind of campaign to try to stop this from happening, since Soho are the last commercial lab in the UK still offering this service.

I'd be grateful if anyone could help to draw Deluxe's attention to the implications of such a move. It may be that in itself 16mm printing is no longer cost effective, but the tiny percentage it must represent as a part of their total operation, and the corresponding amount of savings to be made, must be small in comparison to the cultural losses that would be incurred. On the other hand Deluxe could benefit in a PR sense from their being seen to be supporting an important area of cultural activity,

Nicky Hamlyn.