[Frameworks] Are We There Yet, films by Moira Tierney this SAT in NYC

LBurchill elle.burchill at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 17:44:03 CST 2011

Fellow frameworker in the house this SAT 2.26 at 7PM!

ARE WE THERE YET
Films by Moira Tierney
MICROSCOPE Gallery
SAT 2.26, 7PM
48 minute program
Admission $6

Brooklyn based filmmaker Moira Tierney presents “Are We There Yet” a program
of her new & recent films shot mostly on 16mm, with one on Super8 & DV. Born
in Dublin, Tierney’s works often deal with the political and social barriers
that try to divide us and on acts of resistance to oppression. Participating
in artists workshop and screening films around the world, Tierney shoots
much of her footage on the road. The title film of the program was filmed at
a children’s workshop in the Northern Ireland border towns of Leitrim &
Fermanagh where Tierney finds in the thick mist a metaphor for the calming
down of former high tensions in the area. The program also takes us to
Mexico City, Brooklyn, Mauritania and the Bronx. Tierney also has a sound
installation & photos on view as part of our current "What Tornado" exhibit
that runs thru 2.27.

Tierney received a Master in Fine Arts from the École nationale d'arts in
Cergy-Pontoise and arrived in New York on a Fullbright Scholarship to
Anthology Film Archives. Her works have sceened at cinemas, festivals, and
galleries worldwide including: Collectif Jeune Cinema Paris; Dublin
Electronic Arts Festival; International Film Festival Rotterdam, Chicago
Underground Film Festival; New York Underground Film Festival; Jonas Mekas
Visual Arts Centre, Lithuania; Cinema Texas Film Festival, Austin; Museo
Nacional de Arte Reina Sofia, Madrid; Emily Harvery Gallery, NYC;
International Edinburgh Film Festival; Festival des Cinemas Differents,
Paris; International Festival of Short Film & Video, Bilbao; and many
others.

PROGRAM

ARE WE THERE YET?
16mm, 10 minutes, colour, 2010, music by Macdara Smith & the Bahh Band
Originally a 16mm loop installation created for the Peace III Project
(Leitrim/Fermanagh 2010)

LUCHA LIBRE
16mm, 4 minutes, b/w, 2009, silent
Shot in El DF - Mexico City

HABIBI
16mm, 7 minutes, color, 2008, sound
Filmed in New York in the summer of 2006: a march across the Brooklyn Bridge
in support of the Lebanese population.

AMERICAN DREAMS #4: COURTESY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT
16mm, 8 minutes, color, 2008, sound
Shot on Elder Avenue in the Bronx.

NOUAKCHOTT ROCKS
Super-8mm/DV, 19 minutes, sound, b/w, 2010, sound
The neighbourhood of Tevragh Zeina in Nouakchott, Mauritania:

more info at www.microscopegallery.com
&  www.moiratierney.net

MICROSCOPE Gallery
4 Charles Place
Brooklyn, NY
347.925.1433
(in Bushwick on block north of Bushwick Ave) beside Little SKip's Cafe

j/m/z - Myrtle/Broadway Ave.. Walk down steps across street, stay under
tracks along Myrtle Ave. Cross intersection at Buswick. Charles Place is 1st
left. We are on the right behind LIttle Skip's Cafe.

L Train Morgan or Jefferson stops.