[Frameworks] Recommendation for VHS to DVD transfers

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 10:12:20 CST 2011

This is an easy enough DIY job that I can't see paying professional lab fees for it.

One would need:

an NTSC-DV camera with 'AV passthrough' (most Canon models have this, check the docs on the Canon website to check for any specific model)
a computer with Firewire input and some sort of video editing software (preferable a Mac with Final Cut)
DVD authoring software (iDVD is fine if you have a Mac)

Connect the camcorder to the computer via firewire, and connect the VCR to the AV jacks of the camcorder (with an S-Video cable for picture, preferably). Set the camcorder for AV passthrough.

In Final Cut, you would set Capture Settings for 'Non-Controllable Device' and then 'Capture Now' as the VHS plays.

After the clips are captured, you can trim the heads and tails, color correct if necessary, set up a four-point garbage matte to crop off the vertical interval garbage at the bottom of the screen, add chapter markers if desired... then export the DVD-ready clips as new DV files. Just drop those into iDVD, make an appropriate title and menu, and save as a disc image. Then burn the image to DVD with Toast or Disk Utility.