[Frameworks] Drama films and the Avant-Garde

John Matturri jmatturr at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 15:23:05 CST 2011

Not so sure about the reading that's been given of Irma Vep: you can
also read the final sequence as suggesting that this way in fact would
be a logical way of re-opening up French cinema, though one that would
certainly be perceived as mad by the producers who replace the Leaud
character with a much more conventional director. The film explores all
sorts of attitudes and alternatives to what film could be / become
without I think taking a stable position on any of them.