[Frameworks] Super-8 Shooting Ratio

David Tetzlaff djtet53 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 21:49:24 CST 2011

There are many different kinds of docs. Shooting ratio on 'professional' docs didn't really hit double digits until hand held sync cameras became available to capture extended actualities -- the era of Direct Cinema in North America and Cinema Verite in Europe. Somewhere you can probably find the notes about how much more film the Maysles shot each time they did a new project. They were the first, really, to employ 'video-type' ratios AFAIK.

Part of working in celluloid is the different kind of creativity engendered by the fact you only have so much money and that doesn't buy you much film, so you have to work within that. It really doesn't matter whether it's doc, narrative, experimental -- you've got to turn enough of your limited supply of stock into usable shots to make anything. Typical student projects, or anything that comes out of your own pocket, usually are somewhere between 3:1 and 5:1.