[Frameworks] Please stop responding WITH the attachment. It's overloading my computer.

Jonathan Walley walleyj at denison.edu
Tue Jul 12 16:40:34 CDT 2011

The answer to your last question, unfortunately, is yes. Every year,
usually in the summer, there is a flamewar about email etiquette on
this list, involving all sorts of attempts - some reasonably worded,
others WAYYY too angry - to regulate how people express themselves on
the list, what people should or should not do when sending emails to
the list, how attachments and the like should be handled, etc., etc.
And typically, as has been the case in this round, assumptions are
made about people based on the most scant, paltry evidence imaginable
(someone from Yale MUST be a rich kid, anyone with an "edu" at the end
of their email address must be a flabby academic who "couldn't do" and
so decided to teach, and so forth...).

Maybe it's the heat getting to us, or the boredom for those who are
off from teaching (myself included). But whatever it is, I don't take
it as a sign of life. When people on Frameworks get passionate, angry,
contentious, even downright snarky, about experimental film, then I
love it. But this perennial flare-up, my LEAST favorite one, is
tiresome.

Love to all,
Jonathan

p.s. my FAVORITE perennial flare-up is "what is experimental film?"

Jonathan Walley
Assistant Professor of Cinema
Denison University
walleyj at denison.edu