[Frameworks] Owen Land (aka George Landow) (1944-2011)

Mark Webber mark at markwebber.org.uk
Mon Jul 18 10:11:24 CDT 2011

dear all

just to elaborate on this subject with the details i know, or can
remember from all my owen land research of yesteryear ...

the austrian filmmuseum has the largest collection of original prints,
negatives and materials as a result of a longterm friendship between
owen/george and peter kubelka. at some point (80s or 90s, i don't
remember), peter persuaded him to send all his surviving film
materials to vienna. these materials were uneven and incomplete & i
think many internegs were made from surviving prints.

for the "reverence" touring retrospective, lux and i raised funds to
create two new sets of prints of all titles (except the 8mm reels) -
one for the touring programme and the other to go into individual
distribution at lux. at that time, owen paid for prints of several
titles to go to canyon & the new york coop.

during the course of the project, we discovered that vienna held a
different version of FILM THAT RISES TO THE SURFACE OF CLARIFIED
BUTTER - one which i still maintain was just a rough assembly reel -
so we made a new interneg from the best available print of the most
widely circulating version.

we also found that the vienna copy of WIDE ANGLE SAXON was an early
version, one which was soon revised by owen before making most
distribution copies. therefore, we used the anthology film archives
preservation materials for this film to make the new prints.

i don't know about PFA, but anthology and the austrian filmmuseum had
already preserved the films in their collection as part of the ongoing
conservation of their collections.

no other lost or unknown titles were found. anthology has the sole
copy of the 8mm films on 16mm reel, presumably generated from 8mm
prints that owen gave to jonas at some point.

the rough, 12 minute edit of UNDESIRABLES (WORK-IN-PROGRESS) was done
only on video (despite being shot on 16mm). a VHS copy is the best
known source for this film. i don't know where the 16mm footage was
stored.

the original materials for owen's two video works are with the kitchen
in new york.

mark webber

Begin forwarded message: