[Frameworks] Research into Experimental Film and Video

Todd Eacrett hellbox at agit-prop.com
Wed Jul 20 01:05:19 CDT 2011

Ditto on the poetic, so another recommendation for a slim yet sublime, non-historical manifesto/how-to would be Brakhage's A Moving Picture Giving and Taking Book. Finding one many years ago in a used book store (mis-shelved in the poetry section!) had a big impact.

Todd Eacrett
Victoria BC Canada

. . . . .

Ken Paul Rosenthal said...

I, for one, am always a sucker for the poetic, over the historical, and thus strongly endorse these slender yet sublime manifestos:

Devotional Cinema by Nathaniel Dorsky
Making Light of It by James Broughton

and two eminently readable books which blend the poetic with the theoretical:

Sculpting in Time: Reflections on Cinema by Andrey Tarkovsky
The Tactile Eye: Touch and the Cinematic Experience by Jennifer M. Barker (my personal favorite)

Ken