[Frameworks] Looking for Cathrine Whitney and Shea Castleman

Adam Hyman adam at lafilmforum.org
Fri Jul 22 12:39:16 CDT 2011

Hi all,

I've already asked a few people about this, including a few of you, so no
need to reply if you have already.

Los Angeles Filmforum is in the midst of a large project called Alternative
Projections: Experimental Film in Los Angeles, 1945-1980.  As part of it,
we're building an elaborate website with a database, articles, oral
histories, and more.  I¹m working on collecting articles to put on the
Alternative Projections website, to give them a new life.

We're looking for two people still for permission for their articles.

They are:

Cathrine Whitney ­ ³Bertha¹s Children (Robert Friedman & Grahame Weinbren)²
from New magazine, May 1977 (a publication of Beyond Baroque, Venice CA)

Shea Castleman ­ ³Chick Strand: Now They Call It ³Avant-Garde,² Scratching
the Belly of the Beast, 1994

Grahame Weinbren says that Whitney was a student of his at UCSB who moved to
England long ago, and he hasn¹t communicated with her in decades.
Shea Castleman might have been a grad student in LA as well.  Found one
online who wrote a song, but can¹t find an email yet to see if it is the
same one.

Please let me know if any of you know Whitney or Castleman.  Please forward
as appropriate.

Thank you for your help!

Adam

--