[Frameworks] More advice on film loopers

Marco Poloni mar.poloni at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 14:52:23 CDT 2011

Hi Sarah,
I built my own looper and it was quite some work to get it right. In
my small experience, there are a few things to consider. One, it's
really tricky. If a looper is not built properly, it will get stuck
and tear your film. So always use exhibition prints in loopers. The
second thing is film duration. Under say 5mins of 16mm footage you can
use plate loopers, i.e. the film is continuously extracted from, and
spooled back into a large, horizontal plate. Above 5mins of footage
this system does not work well. Friction forces will play against you.
You should use instead these loopers with many pulleys. Don't know how
they are called. 5mins is an indicative value. These loopers are more
reliable, but more complex to build.
The good thing is that building one or seven devices is not seven
times more work. If you are really serious about it, built one
prototype, and if it works serialize the production of the other six.
But again, I don't want to be too encouraging... The parts have to be
tooled with much precision for it to work smoothly.
Best,
Marco