[Frameworks] films that consider the idea of a super hero

Fred Camper f at fredcamper.com
Wed Jul 27 15:46:05 CDT 2011

Quoting malgosia askanas <ma at panix.com>:

> But can't there be undependent films that deal with cultural
> artifacts?  For example, can't you imagine an undependent film
> that's a meditation of some kind on the Sagrada Familia?

Of course. And there are lots of avant-garde/experimental/undependent
films that acknowledge influences from "high culture" such as Gaudi.
In the sense of "not financially dependent" there could also be
undependent film meditations on Batman etc. I reacted the way that I
did not because there aren't good examples of superhero meditations
but because in my experience a lot of films that purport to examine
mass culture are actually repeating, not differing from and not
critiquing, its values.

Fred Camper
Chicago