[Frameworks] combining SD and HD

D Dawson decodawson at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 4 21:48:02 CDT 2011

I would have to agree that although it would be preferable for all SD
footage to remain in SD throughout the ages, and never require upREZing, it
just simply isn't really a part of a filmmaker's workflow these days.

There are so many filmmakers shooting on SD or HD, or 4K or 16mm or Super8
or 35mm and needing to combine the footage together.  So what do you do?  Do
you go to the lowest common denominator for Telecine, like SD, just because
you have some old miniDV tapes you need to incorporate or do you upREZ
everything to 4K because you shot some fotoage on the RED?

Clearly there is no absolute answer.  The most economical and practical is
somewhere in the middle.   Most festivals screen SD and many now screen HD.
For those festivals you want at least an HD master, which you can
downconvert to SD for other festivals.   Obviously if you are doing a 4K or
2K output there are few festivals with Christie projections that will really
take advantage of that as a projection format... So you are back to HD
again, the sort of "common" standard these days.

In addition most home editing platforms will cut HD footage no problem,
again being economical and practical.  HDV camera camera footage can be
converted to 1080p, same with most DSLR footage... Not to mention EXCam --
or whatever else you can get your hands on, and 2K transfers are not as
common as HD telecines, so much film footage is coming in on HD.

So really, it now comes down to, what do I do with this SD footage I need to
incorporate into this HD timeline?  That is why so many people are dealing
with the question of UpREZing... They literally have footage they need to
upREZ for MANY reasons.   And many of these people are looking for answers
and although some things will be compromised, the compromise is worth it, as
I need SD footage in my HD project... !

To blatantly proclaim, "Don't do it" is besides the point, people are saying
"I am doing it" now who has suggestions on how I can ensure (although with
compromises) the best looking image  -- not the same looking image, not an
image that looks better, but the best possible looking image given the
circumstances.

I think those people are also saying, I have my own reasons for upREZing the
footage, and my decision is not based on a lack of technical fundamentals,
but on workflow and unrelated requirements (perhaps a broadcast license?)

Now of course if this is only about producing a Blu-Ray for exhibition we
have discussed many methods for keeping footage in its native resolution,
but of course if the Blu-Ray player is upREZing the footage itself to 1080p
because the projector is pushing out 1080p, why not use software you can
control in the first place to perform the upREZ with some technical know how
and have a new HD file you can use for future screenings?

The reality is that we now live in an SD and HD world, both with TVs,
Projectors and Cameras.   Many people have many different reasons for doing
what they do, and on a situation by situation basis they are looking for
advice.

Deco