[Frameworks] Facebook

Chuck Kleinhans chuckkle at northwestern.edu
Mon Jun 13 09:18:43 CDT 2011

On Jun 12, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Jim Flannery wrote:

> Sunday, June 12, 2011, 2:22:32 PM, one wrote:
>
>> It would be a nice way to share work we all make.
>
> If you don't mind handing Facebook the rights to your work in
> perpetuity, for free. Sometimes the small print is worth reading.
>
> --
> Jim Flannery
> jim at newgrangemedia.com

quoted from Ari Melber, "The Antisocial Network,"  The Nation, Oct. 6, 2010
http://www.thenation.com/article/155225/antisocial-network

In possibly the most intriguing scene in The Social Network, we see Zuckerberg's critical epiphany as he moves from Facemash's petty theft to the elaborate transfer of intellectual property that will power Facebook. If the new site is established as cool and "exclusive," he declares, students will clamor to give away their pictures and information just to get in.

The rest is history. Now, as Facebook continues to shape norms online and set the bar for aspiring start-ups, it is worth remembering the premise that it was built on. A few more lines from Zuckerberg, which are not quoted directly in the movie, capture the sentiment perfectly. Flush with thousands of profiles submitted by his peers, Zuckerberg typed out his thoughts via instant message to a friend at Harvard:

ZUCK: yea so if you ever need info about anyone at harvard
ZUCK: just ask
ZUCK: i have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, sns
[REDACTED]: what!? how'd you manage that one?
ZUCK: people just submitted it
ZUCK: i don't know why
ZUCK: they "trust me"
ZUCK: dumb fucks