[Frameworks] Facebook

Flick Harrison flick at flickharrison.com
Mon Jun 13 13:49:19 CDT 2011

I don't think people really understand intellectual property in general.  If I took a photo of you and used it in an advertisement, i'd need a signed release form.  But if I post it on facebook and they put ads around it, or use the photo next to a link that says "your friend bob likes mcdonalds," I don't need a release.

It's nonsense and stems, I think, from people thinking about facebook like a utility, like the phone company, which is not responsible for the content, rather than a magazine which IS responsible for the content.

People think of themselves as the publisher on facebook, since they are putting stuff on 'their' facebook page.  When in fact facebook is the publisher.  Like youtube, where people post things and try to claim "fair dealing" or "fair use," which stipulates not-for-profit uses.

Youtube is for profit, therefore videos posted on youtube are being distributed for profit.

The website creators try to appear like invisible entities, facilitating our communications, without acknowledging their own interests.

It's a lot like Guy Debord's description of bureaucracies; they want to take credit for everything good in life while at the same time denying their own existence as an interest group.

-Flick
--
* WHERE'S MY ARTICLE, WORLD?
http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Flick_Harrison