[Frameworks] Super 8 and x ray machines

Steven Gladstone Steven at gladstonefilms.com
Thu Jun 23 11:57:52 CDT 2011

Don't bother with the lead bags, I've heard that they don't work,
because the TSA will just have to ZAP it again at a higher does to see
inside.

Here is a link to the T.S.A. Guidleines, which ought to work for inside
the U.S. Whatever you do DO NOT PUT THE FILM IN CHECKED LUGGAGE.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1035.shtm

Print it out and carry with you. It says you can ask for a hand inspection.

In the end it depends on how insistent you are. I've brought rolls of
16mm internationally, with a Changing bag, and made the inspector check
it. As the line built up and we had 10 more rolls to go, he let me
through. Not the same with Super 8 though.

The swabbing with the cloth is to check for traces of explosives. It is
very sensitive.

The scanning done with checked luggage is very dangerous to film, of any
ASA. So always hand carry the film.

As a test I once had still film run through the scanner about 5 times on
a trip. Didn't seem to bother it.

Hope this helps.

--
Steven Gladstone