[Frameworks] FInal Cut Pro X

D Dawson decodawson at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 28 11:34:59 CDT 2011

Hi Fred,

Well, yes and no.   Apple does own quicktime, but it has become so prevalent
in the professional world that, what are you going to do?  Get stuck in the
dark ages because it isn't an open format?  You may be suspicious,  but like
anything, Apple makes money off of its developments.  They can invest
millions of dollars into developing new codecs, it is harder to find that
kind of research and development with open source material.   I mean NASA is
closed source as well, but although I might want to go to the moon, I don't
really have the research and development dough to make that happen.  China
and Russia have alternatives, but until Billionaire Branson spends his own
dough on an open source spaceship, I am willing to use Quicktime for its
advancements.

With FCP however, you can export to whatever you want.  Export to Qtime,
then convert it to AVI, or MPEG4, or FLV, or an Image Sequence (TIFFs) or
whatever.  You aren't stuck with a master that is only in Qtime.

Just like Photoshop is proprietary, so is FCP/Qtime.  You save your final
version to whatever you'd like, you just can't save your "work" in anything
put the original proprietary format.

FCP X is not YET compatible with FCP 7.  Yes they have said they are working
on a conversion process.  No I highly doubt there will be a loss in quality
in the conversion, there is no need for one.  Your files are your files,
like your pictures are your pictures, it merely references the original
material.  They are working on a conversion to restore your edit decisions
from one to the other.

If you started a new FCPX project today, you could use all of your old
footage, you just couldn't bring up your FCP7 the edits.

Deco