[Frameworks] FInal Cut Pro X

Alistair Stray alistair.stray at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 04:06:42 CDT 2011

I backup in this way, but its an accident of my workflow really.

I do most of my work in a node based compositor (Nuke) which pretty much insists on image sequences really. So I export all my footage into tiff sequences, work on them in Nuke on a shot-centric basis and then read them back into Premiere to edit the shots. Sometimes I do camera tracking in PFTrack and add geometry for 3D compositing, and sometimes I do roto work in Mocha, and again both applications require an image sequence. Then I render out the finished work from Premiere as a quicktime, or an avi, or whatever. So, I end up with an image sequence of my videos too. If you work this way though I'd recommend a pretty fast machine and preferably an SSD so you can playback image sequences at a speed usable to work with without having to render previews as you go. Though, I did use Framecycler for years in Nuke for previews and it was acceptable, but now I don't have to I can't believe I used to tolerate that.

The switch to Nuke was dramatic, it's only when you start working in a node based environment that you realise that staring at a timeline, and doing everything on a timeline, forces you into a mindset primarily of an editor.