[Frameworks] FInal Cut Pro X

Alistair Stray alistair.stray at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 29 09:44:22 CDT 2011

Yep, and its an extremely flexible format capable of supporting a mix of 8bit, 16 bit float and 32 bit float in layers within a single file. I use it when rendering animations and I put all my render passes (beauty, shadow, specular, reflection, refraction, occlusion, depth, normal, position etc) into single files for each frame. Its arbitrary layers and channels (and EXR camera position data) have pretty much made it the standard in compositing and CG work. For compositing work you can store your masks, rotoshapes etc for each frame within it's layers too. Basically, it allows you to have everything you need for each frame in a single file, rather than having completely separate series of image sequences that contribute to a single frame. Unless you're doing a lot of complex compositing work, or you're making HDR films its probably not worth using. Hmm.. but maybe its compression is better than Tiffs, I've never compared it.