[Frameworks] more sour grapes

jack at jacktext.net jack at jacktext.net
Wed Mar 2 17:38:07 CST 2011

We always reply to filmmakers at Revelation Perth International Film Festival with an acceptance or rejection letter, I figure if people take the time to submit you should reply. The replies aren't personal, but they are polite. On occasion I've entered into discussion with filmmakers about their work. I often point films that are suitable for other festivals towards those other festivals if I can't use them, if I have a contact at the other festival I may recommend something I reject to them personally.

At Revelation we don't use Withoutabox, but other festivals I've advised or programmed sections of do use WOB and programme large parts of their festival from it.

Some advice about submitting, TARGET your submissions, look at the festival's programming, do they have an experimental strand? if not have they had a major experimental retrospective? If they have had a major retrospective the previous year they may not want to do more experimental the following year, but if they have a strand they will. Remember smaller festivals, don't just target the bigger ones, remember international festivals, don't just submit to American festivals, this may sound obvious but you'd be surprised at how often filmmakers - who can plan a movie - don't bother with a strategy for festivals.

Finally, has anybody here submitted to Revelation this year?
Jack